Orange Olive Oil Cake
This super moist orange cake is perfect for brunches, special occasions, a casual afternoon of baking or even for breakfast with your coffee!
Using a good quality extra virgin olive oil, like Taralinga Estate, in your baking not only adds moistness but adds nutritional value as well. The olive oil will keep the cake moist for 2-3 days after baking.
What you need
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup Taralinga Estate Fruttato extra virgin olive oil
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons icing sugar
What you do
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Lightly grease baking pan with EVOO.
- Whisk together the almond milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, vanilla extract, sugar and olive oil., until the sugar is dissolved. Add in the almond milk and vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gently stir in the orange-milk mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, in our experience after approximately 50 minutes.
Once out of the oven, top with sifted icing sugar, scattered almonds, and extra orange zest if desired.
Serve warm. This cake is gone within the hour around our family, if your family is less desert inclined, it will stay fresh in an airtight container for 2-3 days after baking.