The flavours are a match made in heaven!
When is a muffin not a muffin? When it is a loaf! This recipe is actually for a loaf, but it works just as well as muffins.
The original version included walnuts, but we experimented with salted pistachios and actually believe the flavours a match made in heaven.
125g extra virgin olive oil (Taralinga Estate Fruttato)
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (more if you like it a bit more tart)
2 cups self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
¼ cup chopped pistachios
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup sugar
What you do
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a loaf tin with Taralinga.
- Beat olive oil, sugar and lemon rind in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift flour, salt and stir in alternately with milk.
- Mix in nuts and pour into the oiled loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until loaf springs back when lightly touched.
- While your loaf is baking prepare the glaze - Stir the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Pour glaze over loaf.
- Leave in tin to cool.
Muffin alternative: Spoon mixture into greased muffin tins (12 muffins). Bake for only 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched.